On October 17, 1902, 63 residents of Copake met to discuss joining the National Grange movement and establishing a local "subordinate" Grange in town. In its first official meeting, on October 24, 1902, over 80 charter members were initiated as inductees of the new "Copake Grange No. 935."
At an early meeting of the Copake Grange, it was voted to build a Grange Hall on land given by Mrs. Carrie B. Langdon and her mother, Mrs. Charity Ann Snyder. The new Grange hall cost $2,400 and the first meeting in it was held on September 9, 1903.
Among its many achievements, the Copake Grange supported the New York State Grange in sponsoring an Agricultural College at Cornell University, establishment of the Dairymen's League Cooperative Association and The Farm Bureau, founding of the Copake Boy Scout troop, sponsorship of two local basketball teams, and forming the Copake Fire Department.
The Copake Grange maintained, in the Grange Hall, a public lending library for the use of the community. During World War II, the Grange raised funds to send ambulances to France, purchased war bonds, and gave free use of the hall to the Red Cross and other civic organizations in support of the war effort.
Today, the Copake Grange continues its legacy of public service, working with Habitat for Humanity, local performance groups, and other organizations to enhance the quality of rural life.